The Post 22 season came to an end last night as the team lost to Post 307 in the Championship Game of the 2019 SD State Tournament. It’s not the end of the season that we had hoped for, but it doesn’t take away from the impressive season this team put together.
The team finished 47-15, won the 2019 Firecracker Tournament and made an impressive run at the Gopher Classic. Some individual accomplishments included:
Single Season Records:
- Matthew Hegre as 9th slugging percentage (0.765)
- Tad Scherbenske as 3rd in Games Pitched (25) and 4th in ERA (0.78)
- Zach Whitesell & Drew Messer as 4th in Pick Offs (4) **
- Jace Caldwell & Ryan Schmidt in the top 15 in Total Chances, Put Outs and Fielding %. **
- Ryan Schmidt as 7th in Innings Caught and 4th in Runners Caught Stealing**
- Zach Whitesell, Zach Chiolis and Drew Messer in the top 10 for Pick Offs **
- Jace Caldwell, Mason Messinger, Ryan Schmidt and Ryan Bachman appearing in the top 15 of numerous career fielding categories. **
**Individual Season stats not kept prior to 2010
While the records are impressive, Post 22 is not just about baseball. With a motto of “Forging strong young men through the game of baseball”, we also want to highlight the 8 seniors moving on to their next chapter.
- Zach Chiolis will attend Butler Community College and major in Civil Engineering.
- Matthew Hegre will attend Grand Canyon University and major in Biology (Pre Med).
- Drew Messer will attend Grand Canyon University and major in Biology (Pre Optometry).
- Mason Messinger will attend the University of Oregon and major in Business.
- Dylan Richey will attend Butler Community College and major in Architectural Engineering.
- Tad Scherbenske will attend Des Moines Area Community College and major in Biology (Pre Optometry).
- Ryan Schmidt will attend Grand Canyon University and major in Biology (Pre Med)
- Troy Wilhelm will attend Dakota Wesleyan University and major in Athletic Training.
Over the next couple of weeks, the parents will gather again to close up the stadium for the year and the boys will hand in their uniforms and get ready for school to start.
Each and every one will take a piece of Post 22 with them wherever they go. The friendships, the on the field lessons and the life lessons.
Congratulations to all on a great season and best of luck to all the seniors. We have enjoyed watching you play through the years and can’t wait to hear what the future holds for each of you!